Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Top Ten Tuesday: 2014 Goals

Top Ten Tuesday is weekly meme created by the lovely folks at The Broke and the Bookish. They created it because they're "particularly fond of lists" and since I also enjoy lists, I've decided to participate in this fun feature.

Happy 2014! Who's made resolutions this year? I hadn't really made any true resolutions but thought I'd get some down on paper (or screen) for this Top Ten Tuesday post. I've done a mix of bookish and non-bookish for this list because I feel like I have a lot to work on in both worlds. What are some of your resolutions?

Bookish Goals

Read 100 Books. This is a pretty basic one. I read a whopping 183 books in 2013 but that was because I had a lot of free time due to unemployment.

Read more quality books...books I want to read. I feel like a lot of the books I read last year blended together and I forgot about a lot of stories. Some because I read them so long ago and some because they just didn't stand out. I'm hoping to change this by not saying yes to every review request (not that I do that anyway) and by reading more of the books on my own shelves (which I started doing last year with my Taking It Off...the Shelf feature).

Work on the blog. I want to spruce up the blog...the layout, how I plan posts, how I design posts, and so on. I've been doing this for over three years now and I feel like it doesn't look like I have been. Time to work on that!

Read more CanLit. I read a lot of Canadian novels last year but I'd like to read more this year. There are so many great Canadian authors out there that I haven't paid attention to.


Non-Bookish Goals

Get a job. This is my number one priority this year. I technically haven't worked for a paycheque in almost a full year. I did two internships but those were (really small) honorariums for twelve weeks of work each. I've been dedicating my time to applying for jobs every day since June and it's been hard. Really hard. I'm trying to do everything I can, which includes going to an employment centre in my city and getting a snazzy redesign on my resume. My hope is to have a job by the time pitchers and catchers report for spring training (mid-February). Fingers crossed!

Re-learn how to knit. This was actually a goal two years ago and I bought yarn and needles and started...something...but I'd like to give it another go and actually make something recognizable.

Learn/take up kickboxing. I have no idea where/how to accomplish this but I had the idea and then it showed up on a TV show I watched and a book I read yesterday. Sign?

(Maybe) get a tattoo. My mom and grandma will read this and kill me (no matter that I'm 26), but it's something I've been thinking about for years. I hadn't ever come up with anything that I liked but the other day I thought of getting 'read' on the inside of my left wrist. Plus, if I ever decide to write a novel I can get 'write' on my right wrist. We'll see if I'm brave enough to do it by the end of the year :)

7 comments:

  1. Good luck in the job search! It's definitely not easy to find a quality job. I have a degree, and a post-graduate certificate, and I'm still in my only-supposed-to-be-here-while-in-University job.
    I have always wanted to take up kickboxing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jobs seem to be hard to come by. I hope you are able to find one you enjoy soon! I also need to read more books that I want to read. I got request crazy on Netgalley and Edelweiss so this year will be the year where I avoid those sites and catch up so that next year I can read more of what I want to read!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cool goals especially the kickboxing and tattoo! Good luck and have a great week.

    Lacie @ Rainy Dayz Reviewz

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the goals! I have been wanting to learn how to knit for YEARS! I bought a kit probably... seven years ago?

    I got my first tattoo in 2012 It's bookish, of course!

    ReplyDelete
  5. 183 books this year! Crazyy! Great goals for 2014! I also have been wanting to get a tattoo for a long time...but nothing has really struck my fancy yet!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Also...I love your new blog header!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! My sister took the photo for me :) Also, if you come up with an idea before the end of the year and if my friend Heidi comes down here, we plan on going together. She wants to get a running one on her foot after she does a 50k in October. And yes...183 is kind of insane!!

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by Books Etc.!