Tuesday, October 8, 2013

Top Ten Tuesday: The End of a Series



Top Ten Tuesday is weekly meme created by the lovely folks at The Broke and the Bookish. They created it because they're "particularly fond of lists" and since I also enjoy lists, I've decided to participate in this fun feature.

It's a sad time, finishing a series. You've invested so much time in the books, characters, and author. You hope and wish that the author will end it the way you want it to. They don't always listen (the nerve, eh?) but, for the most part, I've found that I've been satisfied with the way series I've read have ended but there have been a couple where I've been WTF? This week's Top Ten Tuesday is all about that...the best and worst series enders. What do you think? What series wrapped up perfectly and what ones left you wanting more or feeling frustrated? I realized a couple of things while doing this list. I haven't read a ton of series (especially not recently) and there are also quite a few that I'm waiting on the final book. That would be why it's not a full Top Ten! Links lead to my reviews or Goodreads.

Don't forget to check out their blog for a full list of everyone participating this week!

The "What the hell was the author thinking?" Series


Delirium - Lauren Oliver
When I finished Requiem I literally had to flip backwards to make sure I didn't miss something. I couldn't believe that's how it ended. I'm all for leaving things a little open ended but this one frustrated me.

Fifty ShadesE.L. James
I don't even want to say why I didn't like the ending because I know it makes me seem like a bad person. So...next!

This one might be controversial...but...Hunger Games - Suzanne Collins
I added this one PURELY because I didn't think the epilogue was necessary. Prior to that I thought the ending completely fit.

The "Yay, this ended perfectly!" Series


Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants - Ann Brashares
I'm not talking about Forever in Blue, I'm talking about Sisterhood Everlasting. Yes, it ripped my heart out but I am so glad Brashares gave us a glimpse into the girls' adult lives. I thought it was the perfect wrap up to one of my favourite series.

Harry Potter - J.K. Rowling
I hated when it ended but I was happy with the way things ended. Just wish a few more characters could have stayed alive...

Jessica Darling -  Megan McCafferty
Admittedly, I can't totally recall how this series ended. (It desperately requires a reread!) But I don't remember being upset with how McCafferty finished the series.

1 comment:

  1. I think the whole world was sad when Harry Potter finished! And I'm really happy I didn't continue with the Delirium series!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by Books Etc.!