Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Top Ten Tuesday: Book to Screen


Top Ten Tuesday is weekly meme created by the lovely folks at The Broke and the Bookish. They created it because they're "particularly fond of lists" and since I also enjoy lists, I've decided to participate in this fun feature.

It's been awhile since I've taken part in TTT! This week was just too good not to pass up: Top Ten Books I Would Love To See As A Movie/TV Show (set in a perfect world...in which movies don't butcher the books we love.) I'm a fan of adaptations and understand that they're two different things but, as a booklover, I'm of course going to be upset with some of the choices made by filmmakers. (See my TTT for my best and worst list of adaptations.) Read on to find out which books I'd like to see made into a movie or TV show! (Links lead to reviews)

Don't forget to check out their blog for a full list of everyone participating this week!


Any Sarah Dessen novel.
I'm not picky. That Summer and Someone Like You were already combined into a movie ten years ago (How to Deal) and I really enjoyed it. If I had to choose, though, I think I'd go with either Along for the Ride or The Moon and More. I'm partial to those, especially AftR, because they take place in the beach town of Colby.

Blogger Girl - Meredith Schorr
Once Meredith writes a sequel (she doesn't have a plan for that but I will convince her, haha), this would make for a great TV show, I think. It has a fun and flirty tone that I think would lend itself well to the small screen.

Finding Lucas - Samantha Stroh Bailey
This would make for a hilarious rom-com. And it would allow for some actors to really play up the wacky - I'm thinking of those who would play Jamie's moms and roommates. So much fun!

The Space Between Us - Jessica Martinez
This Canadian YA novel would be so great as a movie. The main characters are forced to move from Florida to Banff, Alberta because of some bad choices. It's a great book, which is part of why it'd make a good movie, but it could also highlight Banff - one of the most beautiful parts of Canada (so photos tell me, I've never been myself, alas!)

The Runaway Princess - Hester Brown
It's like a grown up The Princess Diaries. This needs to happen.


A Discovery of Witches - Deborah Harkness
History, magical creatures (including the ever popular vampires), and a great story. I think that'd be a win, don't you?

Where We Belong - Emily Giffin
There's already been success with a Giffin adaptation (let's get Something Blue on the go, shall we Hollywood?) and I think Giffin's latest would make a great movie. There's a lot of drama and is a great mother/daughter story. It could allow for a young actress to make a splash.

The Single Girl's To-Do List - Lindsey Kelk
I picked this one because it'd be a fun rom-com and also because it would allow for some more Canadian exposure. The characters spend time in Toronto and Niagara Falls and I'd love to see that on the big screen.

Crazy Rich Asians - Kevin Kwan
OK, this is a bit of a cheat because it is going to be made into a movie. But it hasn't been made yet (it's still in the very early days) so I'm counting it! There are so many lavish details that will translate well and I cannot wait to see it.

Arranged - Catherine McKenzie
This is another sort of cheat one because it is going to be made into a short film. The story is good and it has the added bonus of beachy awesomeness because part of it takes place in Mexico.

5 comments:

  1. I'm so flattered and honored that you would include Blogger Girl on this list! I would absolutely love for it to be a television show... Is Hollywood reading this list??? Definitely considering a sequel. I have some ideas...Thank you for the mention!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't believe it has been 10 years since How to Deal was released! That is so crazy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. They're making Crazy RIch Asians into a movie?? Cool. I always wished someone would make Summer Sisters -- the controversial Judy Blume novel into a movie. It wouldn't be so controversial anymore.

    Farah @ Broken Penguins

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! Thank you so much, Kaley! Like Meredith said, maybe someone out there is reading this...

    I'm so honored to be on this list of phenomenal books!

    ReplyDelete
  5. For Sarah Dessen, I'd prefer to see Keeping the Moon or Just Listen. But any of her books would be great movies! :)

    My TTT:

    http://diamondinroughcoal.blogspot.com/2013/09/top-ten-tuesday-8.html

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by Books Etc.!