Monday, July 22, 2013

A Bunch of Mini Reviews 2

It's time for another batch of mini reviews! There were a few books I've read lately that I enjoyed but just didn't have the time to devote a full review post to. I hope you enjoy these mini reviews! Title links lead to the Goodreads page so you can check out the synopsis if you're interested.

I had been seeing reviews and buzz about this novel and when I saw it sitting on my library's shelf, I knew I had to read it. I wasn't totally in love with Hannah's story but I was interested in it and her and did enjoy reading the novel.
Hannah's life gets turned upside down when she and her boyfriend break up. I thought it was for the best because I could see that he was stifling Hannah and her creativity but, as is common in rom-coms, Hannah didn't see it that way. I felt for her as she tried to figure out how she would live without him (not just emotionally but financially) and how she could move forward and do what she really loves.
There are tons of crazy mishaps and entertaining scenes throughout this book, particularly surrounding her new venture, and I think chick lit lovers (and foodies) would really enjoy reading this one.

Lola and the Boy Next Door - Stephanie Perkins
Remember how I gushed over Anna and the French Kiss when I finally read it? It turns out I love Lola and Cricket more. Sure, reading a great novel set in Paris is awesome but characters play a huge role and the characters in Lola won out. I did, however, love that Anna and St. Clair made appearances in this book.
Lola had a lot more spunk than Anna but that actually made me worry about her a little bit more. She's very sure about herself, which is great, but she's still a teen with very teenage issues and emotions.
I think Cricket may now be my top book boyfriend (sorry Ron). I even texted my friend saying that I knew he was fictional and 18 and that I have a boyfriend but I still wanted Cricket. That's how much I love him, haha! He was a genuinely good guy (and even when he wasn't it wasn't totally his fault) and I couldn't wait for him and Lola to get it together and finally start dating.
I'm really glad I finally got around to reading this series though I'm now just as anxious as everyone else for Isla and the Happily Ever After to be released. Unfortunately, we now have longer to wait. Earlier this year Perkins wrote a blog post explaining that Isla will now be published sometime in 2014. I suggest you read this post that explains everything. I think she was incredibly brave to talk about the issues she was having.
All that being said, I love this series and highly recommend it!

Sex, Life, & Hannah: Volume 3, Summer Season - Dorota Skrzypek
I had been meaning to read this book for an embarrassingly long time. I read Volumes One and Two way back in 2012 (links lead to my reviews) and finally got around to the third book this month.
For some reason I thought this was the final book in the series even though there are four seasons in a year. The fact that I was expecting Hannah's story to be wrapped up made for a bit of a disappointment but I got over it. The thing is that I don't adore this series but I need to know how things end up for Hannah. Will she get back together with The Ex? Will she go through with the engagement that occurs during this book? Will another guy show up and cause some drama in the final volume? And what will happen in her professional life? Not only do I have all these questions but I'm not sure when they'll get answered! There's still no date for the Autumn volume.
One of the things I don't love about this series, and something I've mentioned before, is the tell all nature. Hannah and her friends don't hold anything back and sometimes I find that to be a little much. Think of the most outrageous conversation the Sex and the City gals had and multiply it by about ten. Funny? Sometimes. That's what kept me reading.
Basically, what you need to know is that I want to read the final instalment in this novella because I've grown to care about Hannah. I want her life to fall into place and I want to see what sort of craziness will happen before she gets to a stable place. 

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for your review of Sex, Life, & Hannah! The Autumn Season, and final book in the series, will be out in 2014.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ohhh Cricket! *Sighs* I have the urge to re-read both Anna and Lola now!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by Books Etc.!